Friday, November 23, 2012

Mods get down and they get up again


Republicans are setting up the firing range. Our targets – one another.

At least, that’s what I believe is probably the case with a new group
calling itself “Moderate Kansas.”

The group has created a very vague website and is happily tweeting
(@ModerateKS) itself into the state’s lexicon.

The website,  www.moderatekansas.com, is red. That’s about all there is to
see. There’s a motto: A Rational Voice for the Majority of Kansas. But I
don’t know what that means. It’s awfully hope-y change-y to me. You can
ascribe whatever values suit your purpose to it.

According to their Twitter account, they are planning an organizational
meeting to write a platform in January.

If I had to guess, this is the reincarnation of the so-called moderate
Republicans. I just think we’ve heard this song before. The tune was catchy
for awhile and then wore thin, kind of like “Tub Thumping,” by Chumbawamba.
(They were one-hit wonders for a reason.)

I guess the mods are hoping they’ll get back up again after getting knocked
down in the primary election last August. This time, however, it appears
they hope to start a third party.

Look, I get it.

I am far more Libertarian than what currently passes for a Republican these
days. We’ve got Gov. Sam Brownback pimping for wind credits. You’ll never
find a Kansas Republican that doesn’t think farm subsidies are a brilliant
piece straight from central planning.

There are days, many of them, when I seriously consider trying to build the
Libertarian Party. I guess if this group of Moderate Kansas really gets
going, there might be chance to splinter even further.

If nothing else, it will be interesting to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment